This rustic white bean stew is a hearty, flavorful dish typically made with white beans and various seasonings. The stew's flavor has a savory, earthy taste with hints of garlic and thyme with a little spicy kick from the Salsa Verde.
if you want a bean stew with chicken, then you might like to try my Moroccan Stew .
Main Ingredients Notes
The full list of ingredients, detailed instructions, and the recipe notes for this rustic white bean stew are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Cannellini Beans : I usually make this stew with these canned white beans, which makes this a quick and easy meal. If preferred, you can use dried beans and cook the beans the night before. A few good substitutes for Cannellini beans include
Great Northern beans: These white beans are similar in size and texture to Cannellini beans, making them a good choice for replacing them in recipes.
Navy beans: These small, white beans have a similar texture to Cannellini beans and can be used as a substitute with good results
- White Wine : like to use a dry white wine, a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc both work well. To make without the wine you can extra chicken broth can be substituted. Another good option is to add some vermouth or splash in a little white wine vinegar to add that tangy acidic flavor to the stew.
It's worth noting that while these substitutes may add similar flavors to the stew, they may not have exactly the same taste or texture as white wine, so the finished dish may turn out slightly differently than if you had used white wine.
- Seasoning: Dried thyme, garlic, and lemon juice meld together for a savory a bright flavor. You can also switch the herb and use Rosemary or Oregano.
- Salsa Verde: The medium heat salsa verde adds just a hint of heat to the stew. You can kick it up a notch and use a hot salsa or sprinkle in a few red pepper flakes.
How to Make White Bean Stew
Step One: Saute onions in olive oil.
Step Two: Melt butter, saute garlic, add thyme.
Step Three: Add lemon juice and wine. bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for 5-6 minutes. Then add in the chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
Step Four: Add in the cooked beans and stir in the salsa verde. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Check out my Amazon Affiliate links below:
How to Store Leftovers
let beans cool and store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat in saucepan or microwave in a microwave safe bowl.
The most common substitutes are great northern beans and navy beans.
More Tasty Stews With Beans
Did you make this recipe? I would love it if you left a comment or review! Be sure to follow "The Stew Lady" on Pinterest or check out my Facebook page.
White Bean Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice about 1 medium lemon
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart enameled dutch oven and saute the onions until soft., abut 3 minutes.
- Add the butter and melt, then add in thyme, and garlic. Saute for another minute until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in the lemon juice and wine. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce for about 5-6 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. As soon as it begins the boil, reduce head to medium and simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Add in the cannellini beans and salsa verde and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
Leave a Reply