Tired of the same old boring beef barley soup? This yummy beef and barley soup recipe is filled with tender meat and vegetables with perfectly textured grains!
For another old fashioned classic check out my Beef Stew Recipe.
The full list of ingredients, detailed instructions, and the recipe notes for beef and barley stew are included in the recipe card below.
- Chuck Steak - The stew simmers for a long time so you can use a less expensive cut of beef like stew meat or chuck. The muscle fibers of the meat will break down during cooking and leave you with a wonder tender chunks of beef.
- Barley - Barley is a grain that is similar in size and texture to brown rice. The most common variety used in beef and barley soup is pearl barley.
Beef and Barley Stew
This yummy beef and barley soup recipe is filled with tender meat and vegetables with perfectly textured grains!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pound chuck steak cut into bite sized cubes
- 6 pearl onions
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6-8 button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ½ cup pearl barley
- Prehrat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Over a medium-high heat 1 tablespoon of oil In a 3.5 quart dutch oven. brown the beef on all sides. Remove the beef and set aside.2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 ½ pound chuck steak
- Add the remaining vegetable oil to the dutch oven and cook the onion and carrots until tender.6 pearl onions, 2 carrots
- Return beef to the dutch oven and add the beef broth, wine, tomatoes, peppercorns and rosemary. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours., Stirring occasionally. Add additional liquid as needed.½ cup dry red wine, 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, 1 cup beef stock
- Rinse the dried barley in cold water,and drain Add the mushrooms and barley. Transfer to the oven,and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the barley is tender and fully cooked,6-8 button mushrooms, ½ cup pearl barley
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: For extra herb flavor add in fresh oregano right before serving.There are many delicious options for serving with beef and barley soup. Some of the most popular choices are bread and crusty baguettes, which help to soak up the rich, hearty broth of the soup. Other tasty accompaniments include roasted root vegetables, or creamy mashed potatoes. Additionally, you could also serve a simple green salad or a crunchy side of coleslaw to balance out the heartiness of this filling soup dish. STORING LEFTOVERS: Store soup in a glass jar with an airtight lid are generally the best option, as they help to minimize condensation and prevent soup from absorbing any off odors from your refrigerator or freezer. For best quality consume the leftover soup within two days.
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 23g
Tried this recipe?Mention @thestewlady or tag #thestewlady!
Leave a Reply